Benefits of Goji Berries Have you been questioning the wellness advantages of goji berries and also goji juice? Some insurance claims that the goji berry is a fountain of youth. Yet does it actually live up to those cases? And do dry out goji…
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Headache Pain
Headache pain can be a precursor to something more serious happening in your body – but most headaches are not life-threatening and are caused by temporary maladies such as allergies, stress, tension or diet. Migraine headaches are in a different classification, but some natural remedies can be helpful in alleviating the intense pain.
Over 45 million Americans have headaches that make them reach for over-the-counter medications. Many times these analgesic products can have side effects that are ultimately more serious than the headache itself, especially if you’re taking other medications.
There are natural ways to treat headache symptoms without taking a chance on having a negative reaction from prescription or OTC medicines. Here are some natural remedies that might help your occasional headache:
- Lemon – Drink a cup of tea in which you’ve squeezed the juice of about four slices of lemon. You can also try making a fine paste of lemon rind by placing in a blender or food processor, then rub the paste on your forehead.
- Avoid Allergy-Inducing Foods – Foods such as milk, chocolate, alcohol, cheeses and chicken can cause headaches. If you sneeze or have bouts of diarrhea after eating these foods, you’re probably more inclined to get a food-caused headache.
- Herbs and Spices – Cinnamon, made into a fine paste by mixing with water, then applied to the forehead can relieve headaches caused by exposure to cold temperatures. Rosemary should be boiled in water and inhaled until the headache subsides. A cup of tea made from the herb, marjoram, can be used for headaches caused by tension or nervousness.
- Hot Foot Bath – Putting your feet in a bucket filled with hot water for at least fifteen minutes can be extremely beneficial in relieving the pain of headaches.
- Apples – Remove the core of the apple, but leave the skin on. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and eat first thing every morning to relieve chronic headache pain.
The best prevention of headaches is to practice a healthy diet, physical exercise and periods of quiet meditation. Yoga techniques such as deep breathing and drinking lots of water on a regular basis can also drive headaches away and keep them from returning.
Consult your health professional if you have recurring headaches. They could be a sign of high blood pressure, eye strain or allergies.